Friday, November 11, 2011

Baby Steps to Greatness: Start by Making Good Habits


It's the things you do today that make-up your future


My uncle once gave the most important tip in studying effectively: read and understand the book from cover to cover “literally”. Whether it’s the copyright’s page, the index, the table of contents, the edition, or just the testimonials, reading these can greatly help in assimilating the lessons the author wrote in his book. He told me this after quizzing me with what I was reading – an Engineering book which I was surprised to see he understood more even if his profession was lined up in political science (take note he just read it then and there). It was then that I saw what was wrong with my study habits (particularly my reading). I love to read and did very well in class; but I could have performed even better.

I have read so many books and finished these fast but after that meeting I realized I was just scanning them, not completely “reading” them. Since then I started reading books “from cover to cover”. I didn’t skip the acknowledgements, the foreword, the copyright’s page, even the so-called “least important details” on newspaper and magazine articles. It may be hard at first and may have been more time consuming, but after it I became more conscious with my reading choices even with purchasing books.

Just like not skipping the smallest and what most of us call “least important” details in books, making big changes in your life starts by giving importance even with the smallest decisions you make. For me, changing how I read books made me select the best reading materials and made my study habits more effective (I understood the lessons more). This also affected how I think about certain situation and how I analyze it—even people’s behaviors. It made me more observant which eventually led me to take an interest in the teaching and fall more in-love with writing. 

When you want to make things happen you have to start by taking baby steps. There is no overnight success formula. You can’t lose a hundred pounds after a month (healthy weight lost that is), and you can’t accumulate wealth either that fast (even lottery winners know this since they have to make plans on spending their winnings wisely to be truly successful with it).

Darren Hardy discussed in his book, The Compound Effect, how habits can change your life dramatically. From getting a more fit body to your work performance, even in finding your potential partner in life; everything starts from the smallest and so-called least important decisions you make. If you want to lose weight you have to give yourself at least five minutes a day to exercising, even skipping deserts. If you don’t want to be late from work, you have to start going to bed earlier to complete that six hours of sleep. And if you want to attract the right partner for you, you have to accept your own short comings and start working on where to improve yourself to become the type your ideal partner would likely get attracted to. The things we practice become habits and in time these defines who we are. 


Learn from our past.
Cherish the present.
Look forward to the future.


It takes 21 days of repeating an activity to make it a habit. Whether you’ll b be giving 30 minutes of your time to reading, switching from chocolates to fruits for your desert, or waking up 6 am every morning, making the right choices (no matter how simple they may be) and acting upon these will turn your life from where you are now to somewhere better. 

Never neglect the simple things you do in life!


Photo taken by M. Halili


  

26 comments:

  1. very good mantra: "Learn from our past. Cherish the present. Look forward to the future."

    ReplyDelete
  2. previous post pala ito, pero tamang-tama sa mga may new years resolution :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Letting go our past belongings and memories, helps us live our present fully and look forward to our future with redoubled vigour.

    ReplyDelete
  4. just as long as you enjoy a thing you are doing, it will definitely become a habit :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a very good post! Just in time for most of us who are into making better daily routines for 2012. Thanks for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. i agree with the last statement! Needless to mention, you write great. Happy New Year

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't read the foreword, table of contents, or copyright page but when I do make it a point to read a book carefully while studying. I make sure that I understand what I'm reading. That's the key I guess because even when you don't memorize everything, if you understand, then you'll be fine :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't really read books. kahit nga books for schools di ako nagbabasa hahaha i want to read a book pero nakakatamad. and I'll make sure that if i start reading a book, i'll dedicate my time on it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great post! All the best to you and your blog. Happy 2012.

    koreandoll | miss angel

    ReplyDelete
  10. I dont like reading books. Inaantok ako. Hehehe. But in studying, I always make sure na wala akong na-skip na important details. I read the book for atleast 3 times. Scanning ideas, understanding it and last para magmemorize. :)

    I like this, "Never neglect the simple things you do in life!" Big things always start from small ones.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very nice reminder especially for the new year thanks

    ReplyDelete
  12. That is why I created a blog, 21 Days To Form A Habit...I haven't given it much attention yet, though.

    ReplyDelete
  13. In life's developing a habit, one would take a baby steps couple with self discipline. By then, we are now developing a "good" habit. Nice post Jhen. :-).

    ReplyDelete
  14. i am guilty of just browsing and not actually reading...what i do is if it really interest me i reread it again and again...i easily get bored kc, but i'll try the reading from cover to cover as you suggest...

    ReplyDelete
  15. You made me realize i'm not reading well. I read magazines from cover to cover, including the staff box. Not on books though.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love to read too and I can say, I always skip the introductions and all. Thanks for the tip. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I was confused of your title while I was reading your post. I realized that the topic deals more on reading. The effective way of reading to assimilate things you've read. The best way to read printed materials and get the main idea perfectly. Actually, there are kinds or types of a reader, depending on their purpose of reading, like scanners, skimmers and the learners.

    ReplyDelete
  18. i love reading, infact sometimes i batter a book with my snipettes of thoughts on each side or where i coud find space to write my learning. books are a good source of second-hand experience :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. i am not into book reading but i have some favorites and one of them is the cookbook . i read it from cover to cover .my hubby even teases me that my bible is the cook boook.

    ReplyDelete
  20. first time visiting your blog and you got my senses, keep on blogging!


    God Bless!

    how great thou art

    - FranCis

    ReplyDelete
  21. Nice post! I admit, I am not really into reading books; I'm not a bookworm, and I carefully choose what I read, but, I love how you put your words together! Happy New Year! Keep on Blogging! =)

    ReplyDelete
  22. good habits indeed! eliminate negative thoughts the moment it wants to enter your system - i know easier said than done... but it's doable ;-)

    on to the good ones...

    ReplyDelete
  23. Guilty :( I too skim through articles thinking that I have to go through A LOT so I do this... This post of your made me think twice of that habit.

    Another good book to read about habits is The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Great advice. Something that I preach in my blog, Click Play Inspire. Reading great articles about how you can help make a difference and listening to the talks posted there will really help every individual pursue their passion and do their best.

    ReplyDelete
  25. @c5 I'm looking forward to your 21 days to form a habit ;)

    @Ms. Tatess a cook book is a great bible :) I remember my mom use to read her Nora Daza and even watches her show every Saturday... :)

    @Christia agree with the 7 Habits of Highly Effective People!

    @mary mary quite contrary I agree with what you said that books are a good source of second-hand experience. I also write thoughts at the side space of the book before until I decided to keep a small notebook for it (so as to keep all learned thoughts in one place).

    @Jonathan: Cheers! let's continue preaching what we practice especially to those who try to be in control of other people's lives yet they themselves can't be in control of their own--not letting them live life to the fullest...

    ReplyDelete
  26. Jenny, my first time reading your blogs today. You impress me on this one: "I also write thoughts at the side space of the book before until I decided to keep a small notebook for it (so as to keep all learned thoughts in one place)." And the mantra as well - Learn from the past Cherish the present Look forward to the future, good one indeed!

    Keep on blogging!

    ReplyDelete